Monday, April 25, 2011

Velomobile Update

With today being rainy outside, I decided to do more work on the trike inside. Today I reduced the track width from 31'' to 27''! Along with that came the necessary resizing of all three of the tie rods in my lever steering setup. After all of that was finished I made some brackets to mount on my idlers that Adam made for me. I decided to mount them side by side and it worked great!

Once those front idlers were on I couldn't help but take it for a little test ride. It rides GREAT! it feels stable through turn, the ride is stiff up front and dampened in the rear by the shock, and the combination feels fantastic.

To get this trike fully functional, I only need to mount the brake tabs & attach the brake cables, add my derailleurs & cables, and also add another idler + put on a chain tube for the return chain. All of those things don't take much time at all! Since tomorrow is supposed to be thunderstorms, I will most likely do all or most of those things!

Also: A bit of bad news. Due to financial circumstances, our friend Dan is unable to participate in Trike Trek '11. However, we plan on having him with us in a future tour! Best of luck to you this summer, Dan, we'll miss having you with us.

27'' track width - narrow!

idlers hand made by Adam Mercier - thank you!!


it looks tight, but there's no leg interference, even during turns

nearly done



wet tire from test ride

side by side idlers

steering setup - left side

pilot's seat - i'll be spending most of the days this summer in this!

very long wheelbase fit for touring

she's quick, even without derailleurs!


No comments:

Post a Comment